Monday, July 6, 2009

July 5 - Church of the Good Shepherd


Although I didn't know it at the time, 5 years ago today was the beginning of my world travels. I saved up my max vacation time of 5 weeks (meaning I didn't take a vacation day for almost 2 years) and booked a solo trip to New Zealand, Australia and Fiji. Except for a cruise to the Bahamas when I was a kid, 2 trips to Germany with my friend Markus and a trip to Cozumel for Spring Break, I had never left the country, let alone go on a trip alone.

The day after July 4th, I flew to New Zealand and met up with a bunch of Ozzies for a 9 day tour around the South Island. It was winter time there as you can see from the Southern Alps in the background. This photo is from the inside of the Church of the Good Shepherd, which is a small church located on Lake Tekapo. The chuch was built in the 1930s and is still used for service (or at least it was 5 years ago). This is the view from the altar framing the lake and mountains in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment