Thursday, July 16, 2009

July 16 - Waterfall at Night


Nights shots can be a pain in the butt or they can be a lot of fun. This is the shot of a waterfall outside of Lauderbrennen in Switzerland. They spotlight the waterfall at night (our tour guide tried to tell everyone they turn off the waterfall at night and then waited to see how many people watched for it to be turned off).

I had the camera on the tripod. I actually had the aperture at 7.1, basically right in the middle. I didn't want too much light to come in or the waterwall would have been washed out, but I didn't want the aperture to be small and have to leave the shutter open for a longer time. I figured this out mostly with trial and error, and ended up exposing the shot for 30 seconds. Enough to make the water look like it's flowing and you get a lot of detail in the rocks and the sky has just a little bit of color which helps define the mountain top.

No comments:

Post a Comment