Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Nov 4 - Great White Shark


I've done a lot of silly things. Walking with lions, bungy jumping, sky diving, falling down a waterfall and going on vacation during a class 5 hurricane. This one is probably one of the silliest. Get in a car, drive two hours to a Great White Shark feeding ground, take a bout out into the middle and dress up in all black, looking exactly like a seal. Yea, that sounds like a perfectly sane thing to do, right? Did I mention that the water was about 55 deg and that we were told there were 4 or 5 sharks hanging out in the area? How about that once inside the cage, you can't get out and your limbs can float outside of the cage if you aren't paying 100% attention?

So after getting in the water for 30 minutes, starting to freeze, dunking into the water and holding my breath when we are told a shark is headed our way, brace myself when the shark runs into the cage because he is following chub on a stick, I got out, and relaxed to take some photos. This is one of my favorite, especially when I can imagine that I was just in that cage and sharks were coming at me in the exact same way. They can't see all that well, so when the captain takes the bait out of the water, the shark tends to keep going and run into the cage. Perfectly sane right? I'd do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment